Sunday, January 11, 2009

Potty Training a 1 year old.

A little over a year ago, when we had first moved here, I met a Mom whose 18 month old was fully potty trained, and had been for several months. It was so amazing to see this little baby, who could not yet speak in sentences, tell her mother that she needed to potty. While I changed my then 3year old's dirty pull up followed by my then 3 month old's dirty diaper, I shed a small tear and wondered what life would be like NOT having to buy/tote/change diapers.

I took a vow to myself that day. I would begin potty training as soon as Baby Rae could walk. She's walking now. Let the training begin!

She's done great so far. She sits on the big potty instead of her baby potty (probably an influence of big sister), and when it's time to be done, she tears off a square and rubs her belly. She even knows where to put it and how to flush. Now, we wait. Wait for what's to come. Hopefully it won't take 2 and a half more years!

Our goal....18 months! We shall see.

2 comments:

Julie McCullough said...

I'd love to hear how it goes. By the way, how do you train her? Lauren can't talk yet and I'm astonished that some kids are potty trained that young. Let me know the secret please.... :-) Julie

ChristinaJ said...

I'm in the VERY early stages of this. I usually just sit her on the potty before bath and after meals. So far, nothing has actually "happened" while she's there. I'm just showing her the basics right how. She watched S-o a few times and became really interested. I emailed my friend with the potty trained little baby and hopefully she can shed some more light on the tactics. I'll keep you informed.